Saturday, October 2, 2010

Our Scare


We were home from the hospital about 30 minutes literally when I had Kylie laying on the couch changing her diaper before I fed her. The kids were just watching and we were laughing at her nasty diaper. I looked up at her face and she was visibly choking. I grabbed her immediately and called for Joel and started patting her back to hopefully make her cough and catch her breath. She wouldn't cough and was gasping for air. Joel started to suction out her mouth and I called 911. I was frantic by this point and as the 911 dispatcher got all our information I was crying uncontrollably. It was the scariest thing that has ever happened. Joel kept calm and continued to suction her mouth and pat her back and just as the paramedics pulled up she started to cry. They grabbed her and started to check her vitals and it all happened so fast it's kinda a blur. She still was not breathing well and so they loaded her and I up on a stretcher and we headed to the hospital. Joel and my mom followed behind.
We got to Casa Grande Regional and they didn't really want anything to do with her because of her age and called immediately to Mesa to send us to a children's center up there who was more apt to these kind of situations. So we loaded back up into the ambulance and headed to Mesa. This time they had to strap her onto the stretcher in a seat belt so they could hook her up to the monitors during the drive. I just sat there and cried almost the whole way up to the hospital. It broke my heart to see my one day old baby strapped to monitors and wires and I was totally hopeless to help her. I have never felt as helpless as I did that night. The paramedic was so nice and talked to her and comforted her when she cried and kept me talking and tried to comfort me as I also cried.

The first night her monitors went off many times (which meant that they were not picking up her breathing) and every time they went off the nurses would all rush in. I was a total wreck. We spent a total of 2 days there and we finally got to where her monitors weren't going off anymore and they sent us home with the assurance that this was an isolated incident and they didn't feel like there was anything more wrong.
I am thankful that there came nothing serious came of it and that she is ok. I am also thankful for the power of the priesthood and the power of prayer and fasting. Those in the ward who knew what happened had a special fast for her that Sunday and my wonderful dad and brother gave Kylie a blessing in the hospital before we headed to Mesa. My dad hugged me and told me that he felt really good about the blessing and that everything was going to be ok. I love that I could be comforted in such a scary situation. She's doing great now though and we all love this little girl!!

1 comment:

Natalie J said...

Thanks for posting about your scary ordeal. I am glad everything turned out ok! Cute family!