Wednesday, August 6, 2008

First Day of School

I got a little teary-eyed this morning as I held Courtney's hand while we walked up the sidewalk into her classroom, feeling silly that I was getting choked up. It's not like she hasn't been to pre-school and it's not like I haven't left her at school in the past so why was my heart so heavy as I kissed her goodbye and turned to leave her at school? I guess it has finally hit me that she is growing up and is no longer my baby. Courtney has been so excited about starting kindergarten. This day didn't come soon enough for her. After her orientation yesterday we sat down and I asked her if she had any questions. Some of them were pretty funny and it didn't occur to me that my five year old has fears and concerns. Here are some of the questions and concerns that just made me laugh.
"What if I fart and my whole class can hear it and smells it?" (A little background on this one, she has very little control and if she sneezes or coughs, or exerts herself in any way, she farts...every time!!) I'm thinking she will learn to control it really quick!
"I am really nervous to walk into the classroom by myself, will you go with me?"
"What if I get lost going to the playground and I can't find my classroom again?"
"What if I get hungry, do they have like snacks or something?"
"What if nobody likes me?"
So after the initial shock of the orientation, this morning she couldn't get rid of me fast enough. I wanted to linger at the school and enjoy the moment, she wanted me to go because she didn't want her mom hanging out with her. There were 300 other parents there and those kids didn't seem to mind having their parents there. Why do they have to grow up so fast???

1 comment:

The Meehl Family said...

I know exactly how you feel...I tried to talk Maddie into waiting another year. I almost got to keep her home...Courtney looks adorable!